Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Cranberry-Orange-Walnut Bread

So I read Michael Pollan's article in The New York Times Magazine this past weekend on how we spend less time cooking and in the kitchen these days. It was a thoughtful article and he touched on everything from Julia Child to our modern-day celebrity chef's, exploring the question of why we are food-obsessed but would rather watch people cook than do it ourselves. 

I definitely can see how we've gotten to this place as a country. I personally find cooking to be relaxing, grounding and a wonderful creative outlet but I know some people find it intimidating. There is no need to take on a Top Chef-caliber meal on your first try. Cooking simple things can be so rewarding, not to mention it makes your house smell delicious and you learn to think about where the food comes from. 

This inspired me to spend a little time in the kitchen today. With the ingredients I had lying around I decided on Craberry-Walnut-Orange Bread. See my recipe below:


Ingredients:

2 tbsp orange zest
3/4 orange juice
1 1/2 baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
1/2 cup walnuts
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg


Preheat oven 350 degrees

Mix all the ingredients in the blender then place in then place in a bread pan. Bake for 55 minutes. Simple and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment